Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Lemon EVOO couscous salad

Nothing says summer better than a great couscous salad. This recipe I am about to share with you is one of my absolute favorites.  I have coveted this for so very long and it is only right to share. The  salad is  a wonderful addition to any summer BBQ! In the past two weeks, we have been invited to 6 cookouts and each time I have brought this dish, I know I should probably bring something else but this is just too good! This salad can be made with or without chicken. I roasted a chicken in the crock pot a few weeks ago and freezed about half of it. I later used the chicken in this salad, yum. If you have a get together try this recipe out, I guarantee it is a crowd pleaser.


2 cups whole wheat couscous
2 1/2 cups water or stock ( remember to make your own stock it is so much better :) )
1 apple, peeled and chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 lemons juiced
1/2 to 1 cup dried cranberries
1 teaspoon cumin


Boil water or stock in pan. Add couscous and a drizzle of Lemon EVOO, cover pan and turn off heat. Let stand for about 5 minutes for liquid to absorb. Meanwhile in a separate container make the marinade. For marinade combine Lemon EVOO, lemon juice, and cumin. Once couscous is done, add to a rather large bow. Add garlic, apple, and cranberries to couscous. Pour marinade over couscous and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes I add a little more lemon juice depending on the taste. This recipe is meant to feed large crowds, if you half this it will feed about 4 people. Place plastic wrap over bowl and let sit in fridge until you are ready to eat.

I have added spinach to this salad and some feta cheese, its delicious. Enjoy!
Also, the Champagne Mimosa vinegar is and excellent addition, just add a few splashes, it is delicious!











No comments:

Post a Comment