Thursday, January 24, 2013

Lentil Soup Basil EVOO and Winter Ambrosia

We bought a huge bag of lentisl, (25 lbs to be exact) through our local co-op, so it looks like we will be having a plethora of lentils this year! I decided on Lentil Soup because my husband has been craving it and my girls love soup! I stumbled upon this recipe and decided to add the Quail and Olive Basil EVOO and compliment it with Winter Ambrosia as well. It was a hit here, all three of my girls ate it all up and wanted seconds! I have to agree with them, it is a wonderful soup. Enjoy!



Lentil Soup with Basil EVOO and Winter Ambrosia


Ingredients:

1 tablespoon Berbere Spice( mixture of paprika, ground red pepper, ginger, onion, garlic, cardamon, coriander, nutmeg, fenugreek, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves)
2 cups lentils ( washed and drained, I have been soaking my lentils all day and draining them just before I start the recipe, that way they seem to not take as long to cook.)
1 onion chopped
3-4 carrots peeled and diced
3 ribs of celery chopped
10 oz cremini mushrooms sliced ( or any variety of mushrooms)
2 cans diced tomatoes
4 cups chicken stock



Pour Quail and Olive Basil EVOO into stock pan. Heat at medium high setting. Add onions, carrots celery, and mushrooms. Add Berbere Spice. Saute until vegetables soften. Add a splash of Winter Ambrosia and deglaze pan. Add diced tomatoes, stock, and lentils to soup. Cook on medium heat for 30-40 minutes until lentil have soften and begin to split open. 
Ladle into soup bowls and top with fresh cut italian parsley. Drizzle Quail and Olive Olio Nuovo over soup (as a finishing oil), it is so good! Serve with a green salad and loaf of bread if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment